How do I get a library card?

  • A Manhattan College ID functions as a library card for current MC college students, faculty, and staff
  • Alumni may request a card at the library administrative offices in Room 404.  A valid form of identification is required to be issued a library card. 
  • Alumni may also submit a library card request using the library’s online submission form
  • Patrons from other WALDO colleges and universities have access yet no borrowing with their college ID

How do I get or change my library account  username and password?

  • Your JASPERcat username is the 16 digit number on the front of your college ID card
  • The password is your last name in all lower case
  • You can change your password by logging in to your JASPERcat account and selecting the “change my password” link
  • If you require assistance changing your password, call the Circulation Desk at 718-862-7743. 

I forgot my library account password.  What do I do?

  • You can ask about your password at the Circulation Desk (Phone: 718-862-7743).
  • If you need assistance regarding JASPERnet please contact Information Technology Services at 718-762-7973.

How do I renew an item?

  • Items can be renewed in person at the circulation desk
  • Items can be renewed online if you log into your library account in JASPERcat
  • You can renew circulating items twice.

How do I get a book that is checked out to someone else?

  • A hold can be placed in JASPERcat in the item’s record.
  • Select ‘place a hold’ in the search  results navigator menu to the right of the item record
  • Placing a hold online requires your library username and password
  • Manual holds can be placed at the circulation desk

How do I find books and media that are on reserve for a class?

Traditional Reserves

  • Faculty members can place books, media, and other materials on reserve in the library for their classes.
  • The list of reserve materials is searchable in JASPERcat using the Course Reserves Search or the general catalog.  
  • A valid ID card is required to check out reserve materials. Use of reserve materials is generally restricted to two hours in the library or to overnight use. Overnight materials must be returned the next day including weekends. The fine for overdue overnight reserve materials is $.25 per hour (with a maximum of $20.00 per item).

Electronic Reserves

  • Faculty members can place articles, book chapters, and other electronic material on reserve for their classes.
  • Electronic Reserves are accessible through the “Electronic Reserves” link on the library’s main menu

How do I return materials?

  • Books can be returned directly to the circulation desk or to the book drop located outside the main entrance of the library
  • Media must be returned directly to the circulation  or media desks

How do I ask for research help?

You may request research help in person at the library reference desk or by phone at 718-862-7161.

The reference desk schedule during the fall and spring terms is:

Monday -Thursday  11:30 A.M.  -   9:00 P.M.
Friday                     11:30 A.M.  -   6:00 P.M.
Saturday                 10:00 A.M.  -   5:00 P.M.
Sunday                    1:00 P.M.   -    9:00 P.M.

You may email questions to our “Ask a Librarian” service:

Ask a Librarian
Librarians try to answer questions within 24 hours when the reference desk is staffed

If you need extensive research help, you may make an appointment with one of the Information Services Librarians. To make an appointment, contact:

Amy Handfield
Phone: 718-862-7747

Sarah Cohn
Phone: (718) 862-7739
Email: sarah.cohn@manhattan.edu

How do I find an item in the library using the call number?

Books with Library of Congress Call Numbers

A - HD 4th Floor
HE - PQ 3rd Floor
PR - Z 2nd Floor
Curriculum Collection Room 207
Fales Collection 2nd Floor
Oversize Collection 2nd Floor
Reference Collection 5th Floor

Books with Dewey Decimal Call Numbers
(pre-1980 books)

001 - 519.4 Subfloor 1A
519.5 - 999 Subfloor 1B

Pre-1980 Engineering

000 - 999

1st Floor

How do I get books or journal articles from another library?

  • Fill out an interlibrary loan form for a book or journal article. Print the page and bring it to the Circulation Desk. The time allotted to fill the request can vary widely so please make an effort to put in your requests early. Some requests are more difficult to fulfill. Having a correct citation improves your chances of getting what you want. Also bear in mind that copyright and licensing restrictions may prevent the library from fulfilling your request. Whether we are able to help sometimes depends entirely on the publisher and the applicable laws involved. The library on occasion will refuse requests which, in the judgment of the librarians, violate copyright provisions.

How do I use the library's databases from my home?

Library databases can be accessed through the library website. When you attempt access, you will be prompted to provide:

  • your library username and password or your JASPERnet username and password
  • Your library username is the 16 digit number on the front of your college ID card and the password is your last name in all lower case

How do I reserve a meeting room?

For Faculty/Administration:

  • Room reservations for classrooms, computer labs, and the Alumni Room can be made by contacting the library administrative offices (Phone: 718-862-7166) or the media center (Phone: 718-862-7740)

For Students:

  • Effective with the Spring 2015 semester, a new “open door” policy has been put into place for the Library’s group study rooms.
  • The rooms can no longer be reserved; the doors are unlocked, and there is no need for a key. The staff at the library circulation desk have no way of knowing whether a particular room is in use. 
  • To use a group study room, just use it. All the group study rooms are now first-come, first-served.
  • However, each room is intended for use by a minimum number of people. (The number is indicated on the door of each room.) If you have fewer than that many people, you will need to vacate the room if a group of that size (or larger) wants the room.
  • There is currently no limit on the amount of time for which a group has a room. We may need to institute a limit in the future, however.
  • Please do not leave personal belongings unattended, in the group study rooms or elsewhere. The rooms do not lock, and you are responsible for your property.

How do I use the library wireless?

  • JASPERNET wifi is available on all floors of  the library
  • The connection can be found listed in the wireless network connection radar icon

How do I donate materials?

  • The Library welcomes donations of books that enhance and support the curriculum and are in good condition. Please call Francine Flood at 718 862 7166 for further information.

How do I host an exhibit at the library?

  • For short term displays highlighting events, readers advisories, etc., contact Amy Handfield (Phone: 718-862-7747, Email: amy.handfield@manhattan.edu)
  • For large, long term displays, contact Amy Surak (Phone: 718-862-7139 
  • Email: amy.surak@manhattan.edu)

How do I find ebooks?

  • ebooks are accessible in JASPERcat
  • each ebook can be viewed via a link in the item record

How do I find movies or documentaries?

  • Items are located in the media center on the 1st floor of the library
  • All media is searchable in JASPERcat

How do I find children's books for student teaching?

  • All materials are located in the Curriculum Room (Rm 207) on the second floor
  • To access the Curriculum Room, inquire at the Circulation Desk and a staff member will let you in.

How do I find education or psychology tests?

  • All tests are searchable in Jaspercat Advanced Search by changing the setting to <Test Cabinet> under <Limit to any of the following> (lower left of page)
  • Add keywords, name of test, or acronym in the Search Box (1st search box, top of page, under green banner) to get specific tests
  • All tests are in the Test Cabinet in the Curriculum/Education Collection (Rm 206)

How do I find audio visual material such as DVD's, CD's, or audio files?

  • Items are located in the media center on the 1st floor of the library
  • All media is searchable in JASPERcat

How do I determine if an article is scholarly, peer-reviewed, or from a popular periodical?

Popular periodical articles are written by journalists for the general public. Popular magazines typically have many colorful illustrations and advertisements but not bibliographies. Popular magazines are usually published weekly or monthly.

Scholarly articles are written by academic experts for academic readers. Scholarly journals typically have bibliographies but few if any colorful illustrations and advertisements. Scholarly journals are usually published about four times per year. Most scholarly journals are peer-reviewed. Peer-reviewed or refereed articles go through a process whereby experts in a field recommend whether to publish the submitted results of original research or not.

A number of periodical databases, including the ProQuest and EBSCO databases, sort the search results into popular, scholarly, and other categories. In these databases, It is the periodical, not the individual article, that is being categorized.

How do I tell if I am looking at a primary or a secondary source?

In history, a primary source is from the time of the event that you are studying, an eye-witness or first-hand account, for example, letters, diaries, memoirs, speeches, interviews, maps, photographs, government documents, and newspapers contemporary to the event. A secondary source in history is an account based on primary sources, for example, a 21st-century book or article on the U.S. Civil War.

In the sciences, a primary source reports the results of original research, typically in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal. A secondary source in the sciences is a book or article commenting on original research.

How do I find primary source material?

In history, archives are sources of mostly unpublished primary source materials. Primary sources published in books can be found by searching online catalogs such as JASPERcat under a subject and the term “sources,” for example, United States History Civil War Sources. The websites of research libraries and museums such as the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian Institution, and the New York Public Library provide digital collections including many historical primary sources.

In the sciences, a primary source containing the results of original research can be found by searching a periodical database and limiting the results to scholarly journal articles.

How do I apply for a job in the Library?

  • Manhattan College students should inquire at the Reference Office, Rm 510 (Phone: 718-862-7736)
  • Job openings for Faculty and Staff positions are listed on the Human Resources website

How do I access research on my mobile device?

  • As long as the device has data, then JASPERcat  and other electronic library research databases can be accessed using a mobile device.
  • Off-campus access to the library databases on a mobile device will require logging onto the proxy server with your Jaspernet email name and password.